The Scout Association Adult Training scheme is modular and flexible, concentrating on learning rather than just attending courses. The scheme takes in to account what you already know and can demonstrate to create individual learning plans.
On taking up your role, you will be allocated a Training Adviser, who may be someone from your Scout Group or Unit or it might be someone else with experience of Scouting or someone who’s just finished their own training and knows the ropes.
Most of your contact about your training with be with your Training Adviser, so do take some time to get to know them!
Each District has a Local Training Manager – in Bournemouth this is Angie Blanchard. The Local Training Manager supports local Training Advisers and keeps the Managers in the District up to date. Local Training Managers also manage delivery of local courses, such as the “Getting Started” modules. They also liaise with the Appointments Advisory Committee and with the wider Training Team.
key points about the Adult Training scheme:
- you only do what is needed for your role
- it’s tailored to you, what you know, how you learn, how you Scout
- it’s modular so you can fit it around your commitments
- you get the personal support of a Training Adviser
- it’s about doing, you demonstrate skills and knowledge in practice – we call it validation
- Leaders and Managers achieve their Wood Badge on completion of their training and can wear their Wood Beads
- The Scout Association publishes a range of material that supports the scheme
There are workbooks and e-learning modules for the majority of the modules within the scheme which can be accessed through the learning materials page on the scouts.org.uk site – click on the selected module then look for the links to either the workbook or e-learning
To find out more about face to face courses and to book your place please visit the training hub on the Dorset Scouts website
We recommend that your meet with your Training Adviser regularly to validate any learning your have completed
If you need any support with your Adult Training you can contact your Training Adviser, your Group Scout Leader, Angie Blanchard (your Local Training Manager) or any of your District Team, who will be happy to help you